Monday, May 4, 2020

The Best Avocado Toast Recipe

Avocados have become the trendiest fruit on social media which is probably why guac always cost extra. They are loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, potassium, fiber, antioxidants, niacin, folate, magnesium, beta-carotene and cholesterol lowering sterol.

Over the years I’ve eaten a lot of avocado toast (at home and at stylish cafes) but my recipe is the best!

The ingredients below should be added and adjusted to taste – put as much or as little as you like.


You’ll need:

*Bread (I used fresh pumpernickel from a local bakery)

*One avocado (ripe but not overripe)

*Chopped green onion

*Finely chopped cilantro

*Salt (I used Himalayan pink salt because it is much healthier)

*Your favorite hummus (I used President’s Choice Spicy Hummus)


*Black pepper

*Extra virgin olive oil

*Garlic powder or Toum - (creamy Lebanese garlic sauce)
In Toronto/the GTA my favorite garlic sauce is sold at Paramount Fine Foods Restaurant or Paramount Butcher Shop. It tastes amazing in this recipe but use what you have.

*Pepper sauce (if you like it spicy). I added a couple drops of scotch bonnet pepper sauce but you can also use Sriracha, Tabasco, finely diced jalapeƱo or just black pepper.

*Fresh lemon juice

*1 teaspoon of tzatziki (if you are using garlic powder instead of garlic sauce). I use President’s Choice Traditional Tzatziki Yougurt Dip or my sister's homemade tzatziki sauce.


Directions:

1. Cut avocado, remove pit and scoop out the flesh. Put it in a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth.

2. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix well.

3. Add pepper sauce, green onion, cilantro, tzatziki and a squirt of lemon juice to taste. Mix everything together.


4. Toast your bread until it is crunchy and firm.

5. Spread hummus on toast and add a generous layer of avocado on top.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...