Thursday, February 28, 2019

How to Grow Long Healthy Hair | Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Collection

I’ve written many articles about healthy hair growth but a nutritious diet is just as important as the beauty products you use.

Viviscal is known for their dietary hair growth supplements that help reduce shedding, but for people like me who hate taking pills and prefer to eat well, the Gorgeous Growth Densifying Collection with Biotin, Keratin and Zinc may be an easier alternative to getting the hair you've always dreamed of.


I’ve had long hair for most of my life. As a child my mane was healthy, flowing and hip length with a beautiful curl pattern. Things were good back then, way before I became a teenager and discovered flat irons that fried my ends until they snapped. It took years to reverse the damage but eventually I learned how to care for my luscious locks which are now strong, shiny and healthy.

Understanding How Hair Grows
If you’ve decided to grow your hair, there are some biological factors you should understand first. Not everyone can have the Kardashian’s long dark waves (or whichever long haired mogul you look up to). Your natural length is predetermined by genetics and the anagen phase of your hair follicle. This means that each healthy hair will grow to a specific maximum length before shedding and being replaced. This cycle differs for everyone, which is why some people can never seem to grow hair past their shoulders and others have ankle length tendrils.

Other factors that can affect hair growth and thickness include: stress, malnutrition, improper care, medication, hormones and age. My hair doesn't usually grow past my hips/tailbone region and I’ve learned to accept it.


How to Enhance Hair Growth – The Do’s and Don'ts
Although genetics play a big role in the structure and life cycle of your follicles, heat and chemical damage can greatly influence health and length. Hair that is dry, brittle or weak will split, break and shed much quicker which makes retaining length nearly impossible. Below I’ve listed a few tips and tricks that support optimal growth.

*Eliminate chemicals and hair dye.

*Take multivitamins and eat well balanced meals. I take Nature’s Bounty Hair Skin and Nails Strawberry Gummies ($9.79 – available at Walmart). They contain Biotin to help with the development and maintenance of bones, cartilage, teeth and gums while metabolizing fats and protein.

*Drink more water (lots more!).

*Improve your sleep quality – for more information check out my article on How to Improve Your Beauty Sleep.

*Reduce heat styling, update your appliances to prevent burns and air dry when possible.

*Always use a thermal protectant to prevent damage and shield from UV.

*Shampoo less to maintain natural oils and refrain from using cleansers that are harsh or drying. If you need to wash frequently, try co-washing - cleansing with conditioner.

*Apply a treatment mask for at least 1-3 hours weekly or bi-weekly to strengthen and replenish moisture.

*Wear your hair in its natural state and use hydrating leave-ins, serums and oils.

*Sleep with your hair tied up or braided and invest in a satin pillowcase to prevent breakage, friction and oil absorption.

*Wear protective styles, comb gently or use your fingers to detangle with lots of slippery conditioner.

*Try a protein treatment if you notice excessive breakage.

*Trim individual split-ends, fraying strands or single strand knots with sharp professional shears but do not cut off any length.

*Perform weekly scalp massages to increase circulation and blood flow to the roots.

*Use products that are formulated to promote growth.

Viviscal Gorgeous Growth
As mentioned, my hair is already very healthy so I maintain it by using the right products. Viviscal’s growth formula contains a unique Ana:Tel proprietary complex with pea sprouts, grape seed, bitter orange, patchouli, bark oil, lavender, nutmeg, hydrolyzed keratin, eucalyptus, coriander seeds and more!

The Densifying Shampoo ($19.99) eliminates build-up, excess oil and impurities while cleansing the scalp and fortifying ends to promote growth. It is suitable for everyday use and all hair types including dry, damaged, color treated, thin and fine. Right away I noticed that my hair felt a bit heavier but not weighed down, limp or stripped.


The fragrance is quite strong but the scent isn’t bad. It reminds me of vintage perfume that has been left out in the sun too long, like something a grandmother would wear. After styling, the aroma seems to fade and my hair smells great so it doesn’t bother me.

The conditioning phase is where most of the transformation happens and the formula is surprisingly rich and hydrating. It nourishes parched strands, boosts shine and helps detangle. I leave it on for about 10 minutes and my hair feels noticeably different. The treatment dramatically changes the natural texture of my hair which is the first time I’ve ever experienced such immediate results. My strands seem dense, soft, smooth, replenished and thick. My curls are springy, supple and well formed.

I was a bit shocked the first time I used this collection. My hair has never felt so different and it took a while to get used to the change. The effects lasted a few days but eventually wore off when I washed my hair with other products several times. This system definitely strengthens the hair fiber to reduce shedding, breakage and split-ends and it seems to invigorate flat lifeless strands.

I also tested the Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir ($29.99) which is a leave-in that can be applied on damp hair or used as a styling aid. The serum helps increase body and thickness while smoothing flyaways, taming frizz and hydrating. Use it as a spot treatment on areas that are thinning, dull or damaged.


Compared to some of the high-end salon products I’ve tried and a few drug store growth formulas, this collection produced the most visible results. I’m still deciding whether or not I like the textural change I experienced but I'm going to finish the tubes and see what happens.

Viviscal is available online at viviscal.ca, The Shopping Channel and various drugstores including: Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, London Drugs, Loblaws, Jean Coutu, Lawtons and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...