Monday, April 4, 2016

Hair Recipes Egg & Cognac Shampoo and Egg Yolk Conditioner Review

Recently I was asked to test and review the Hair Recipes egg infused shampoo and conditioner and I was all for trying something new! Applying a popular breakfast food on your mane may seem odd but eggs have been used as a natural hair treatment for ages and coating your strands in this slippery mixture is said to be an effective protein treatment to protect against weakness, split-ends and breakage.


My hair is quite resilient so I don’t usually buy protein packs but I do use products with strengthening properties in the ingredient list. The Egg and Cognac Shampoo can be used on its own or after the Hair Recipes homemade treatment which consists of 1 raw egg and 2-3 tablespoons of their Argan Oil. Naturally I assumed that since the shampoo has “egg” in the title and a yolky yellow tinge it was already included in the formula but after reading the ingredient list I’m not quite sure. Nevertheless I wanted to see how the shampoo worked on its own so I skipped the raw egg and lathered up.


For a sulfate free formula I found the cleansing agents quite strong. I’m not talking about scent as the shampoo doesn’t smell anything like egg or cognac (it smells good), but it left my hair extremely squeaky clean, bordering on stripped. It does a great job eliminating build-up but it diminished a little too much natural oil for my liking and left my hair craving immediate moisture and replenishment. I recommend apply the shampoo to the roots and just letting the foam trickle down as you rinse to prevent drying out your ends. This blend may be better suited for oily hair. The shampoo retails for $14.95.

The Egg Yolk Conditioner has the same yellow tinge but again I’m not sure if there is actually any egg in the formula. The pre-treatment plan outlined in the Hair Recipes pamphlet also calls for raw egg which made me wonder if these products are designed to simply support the homemade egg recipe rather than replace it.


The conditioner looks thick in the bottle but upon application it felt a bit thin and more like a shampoo without the cleansers. It didn’t coat my hair very well nor did it seem rich enough to nourish, moisturize or aide with detangling. For my thick, long hair that tends to need a lot of hydration this formulation just wasn’t enough but if you have oily hair this may be just enough without weighing down your tresses or causing limpness. The conditioner retails for $16.95.

After using these products I needed to follow up with a deep treatment mask to regain softness, bounce and shine. I also used the Hair Recipes paraben-free jojoba oil for extremely dry hair and scalp. The great thing about the oil is that it is lightweight and also contains argan, sunflower and soybean oils that help replenish and improve the look of parched areas. I like applying it to damp hair before styling for a nice glossy finish and on dry hair it helps smooth down fly-aways and frizz. It also improves the look of rough ends and works well as a finishing product, especially after heat styling. The oil retails for $18.95.


Considering my results I think this collection was made to compliment protein treatments and help reinforce hair fibers rather than soften them. I am no expert when it comes to protein recipes but I’m guessing silky hair wasn’t the main objective here and maybe some initial dryness or brittleness is to be expected when attempting to fortify? Whatever the goal, this collection wasn’t quite suited to my hair type but if you need more protein in your routine you may want to check it out. You can visit the website by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...