Thursday, August 6, 2020

NYX Mystic Petals Shadow Palette | Review & Swatches

I always get excited when I receive new palettes from NYX Canada, and today I am testing a range of bright summer hues and earthy autumn neutrals.


First up is Mystic Petals Midnight Orchid ($17). If you like cool purples and bright pink, this one is for you.

I should start by mentioning that some of these colors are not meant for use on the eyes (always check the back of the packaging). This seems to be a reoccurring theme for new NYX releases and honestly, I don’t care for it. How often do people use bright pink or neon shadow on their face? That being said, I have tried these pigments on my eyes with no side-effects but I recommend doing what’s best for you.

Now on to the review...

The purples in this palette are muted (not as bright as I like) but suitable for everyday wear. The pink and garnet are my favorites and the grey toned purple is quite unique. These shades look beautiful in various combinations and create a pretty purple gradient that compliments most skin tones.


The color payoff is light but decent (not the best quality, but not the worst either). The shadows are not dense or creamy so you’ll need a good primer and a few layers for optimal saturation.

Swatches of Mystic Petals and Ultimate Edit Brights

Dark Mystic is warm, earthy and neutral. These aren’t my favorite shades (I didn’t need another taupe, silvery white or black) but the teal, bronze and gold look gorgeous together.


If these hues are a little too tame for you, try the Ultimate Edit Brights Palette ($12). These neon shadows can be worn individually or together to create a dramatic statement eye. The yellow and orange are a tad patchy and the rest are quite dry so you’ll need a good base to enhance them. For the price, it's a fun palette to experiment with.


We all want long lasting makeup that looks fresh all day but heat humidity and perspiration can destroy your hard work. The NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray ($10) has a lightweight, non-sticky vegan formula that prevents caking, creasing, shine, transfer and smears for up to 8 hours!

Lipstick: NYX Suede Matte in Spicy

Two more great summer products are the HD Translucent Finishing Powder ($12) which smooths, mattifies and softens the appearance of fine lines. I use the Glitter Primer ($8) with all my eye shadows (shimmer, loose and pressed) to keep pigments in place all day and prevent lid to crease transfer (which I hate). Just remember to blend it out with your finger to prevent creasing.


NYX is available at drugstores nationwide, online at nyxcosmetics.ca and there are numerous free-standing stores located across the GTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...