Friday, August 14, 2020

Healthy High Protein Jerk Chicken Bowl

Healthy bowled meals have become very trendy recently and many restaurants have added them to their menu. Instead of ordering take-out every week, I created my own tasty recipe.

This jerk chicken bowl with veggies is rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats. Once everything is prepared, it can be tossed together for quick meal prep, lunch or dinner and it keeps you full all evening.


Ingredients:

*Coconut basmati rice (you can also use noodles, brown rice, couscous or quinoa).
I use a rice cooker and substitute some of the water with organic coconut milk.

*Lettuce (I use organic field green mix and put some at the top and bottom of the bowl).
Try to add a lot more greens than rice.

*Brown canned lentils (drained and rinsed)
Lentils are very high in fiber. You can also use your favorite beans or peas (I like chickpeas). If you prefer fresh lentils, you will have to cook them.

*Homemade jerk chicken breast with sauce
I use a combination of Walkers Hot & Spicy Jerk Marinade and Cool Runnings dry jerk seasoning (available at most grocery stores). Make sure to add a little at a time and adjust to taste because Walkers is very spicy and both contain salt. 
(Note: I do not recommend Walkers mild or medium marinade because they contain more sodium)

You can cook the chicken in whatever sauce or flavoring you like – barbecue, Cajun, Greek, Tandoori etc. To save time, you can also buy a fully cooked roasted chicken from the grocery store and shred it.

*Pepper sauce (optional)
I used my dad’s homemade scotch bonnet pepper sauce (it’s delicious). If you want your bowl extra spicy you can also use Tabasco or Sriracha.

*Organic Corn

*Roasted garlic and herb sweet potato
Dice the sweet potato in small chunks, coat in olive oil and use a blend of Mrs Dash Original Seasoning, pink salt, finely minced organic garlic, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning.

*Chopped green onion

*Avocado 

*Raw hulled pumpkin seeds (high in iron)

*Tzatziki (I used the President’s Choice brand because I didn’t have time to make my own).

*Arrange everything in a big bowl and enjoy!



If you cook enough chicken and potatoes you can eat this meal for a few days and use the ingredients to make delicious salads, wraps and sandwiches.

~Bon appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...