Monday, November 25, 2019

10 Fun Indoor Winter Activities For Everyone

Fall and winter are my favorite seasons. I love Christmas, my birthday is on Christmas Eve and the snow doesn’t bother me (I know I sound a bit like Elsa). Despite the beautiful holiday decor and having an excuse to indulge in rich comfort foods, my family does not share my enthusiasm. They complain about the cold with scrooge-like eye rolls and never indulge my request to snowmobile or toboggan.

Over the years we’ve had to come up with a few indoor activities that we all enjoy and today I’m sharing a few of our faves.


1. Christmas movie marathon
There is nothing I love more than snuggling up on the couch in a warm blanket and watching my favorite Christmas movies. My sister and I make a whole night of it. We order takeout, get our snacks ready, whip up some hot cocoa and turn on the Christmas tree to ignite a little holiday spirit. Invite friends and family, get comfy and have fun!


A few of my favorite holiday classics include:

*Home Alone
*The Grinch starring Jim Carey
*Elf
*While You Were Sleeping
*Christmas with the Kranks
*Arthur Christmas
*Polar Express
*Rudolph – I’ve been watching this version since I was a baby!
*Edward Scissor Hands
*National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
*Frosty

2. Host a themed dinner party or brunch
Each year my friends and I host several themed dinner parties and at Christmas we like to try new recipes for desserts, eggnog, and hearty soups. Cook the meal together, set the table and catch up on life. You can even use the Pinterest recipes you’ve been dying to try.


A few of my favorite dinner party themes include:

*Alice in Wonderland high tea
*Escape to India
*Summer in Italy (we tried to make gnocchi from scratch)
*Pizza party
*Taco night
*Island vibes (Caribbean food)
*An evening in Thailand
*Fright Night (Halloween inspired)
*Fondue night
*Ice cream sundae buffet

3. Gingerbread house or Christmas cookie competition
Building a gingerbread house or baking Christmas cookies with the family is always a fun way to spend an evening. Make it a competition and award prizes to the winner and runner-up.


4. Game night
When it’s dark and dreary outside, put your cell phone down for a few hours and play some games. A few of my past favorites include a homemade jeopardy board with personalized categories, hilarious mad libs and blindfolded candy taste test. If you prefer to do things old-school, pull out the board games, karaoke machine or playing cards. There are also online quizzes, scavenger hunts and murder mystery night. Get creative and make lasting memories.

5. Mixology class
Buy some booze, invite your friends over and whip up a few delicious cocktails. Compete to see who can create the most original signature drink and name. Things tend to get pretty crazy when alcohol is involved.


6. Spa day
A relaxing spa day with the girls is just what I need after a hectic week. Buy some face masks, set up a mani/pedi station (you can even hire a manicurist), put out a few skincare essentials and pamper yourselves. Don’t forget the snacks and wine. If you aren’t in the mood to host a get-together, indulge in a solo spa day and try some yoga or meditation.


7. DIY projects and crafts
There are many projects on my to-do list but I rarely have time to complete them. Recently I learned how to re-purpose my used candle jars for all kinds of cute stuff (you can find that article HERE).


If you are stuck indoors why not be productive. Start a scrapbook, redecorate a room, organize your closet using that shelving unit you never had time to build or make some Christmas goodies and cards for loved ones. Beauty gift baskets and hot cocoa jars with homemade cookies are always a hit.

8. Start a novel you’ve always wanted to read
Curl up in you favorite chair with a good book, clear your mind and escape for a few hours. If you love reading as much as I do, get your friends on-board and have a book club meeting/pot-luck lunch. We usually take turns choosing the novel and hosting/preparing discussion questions. You can also watch the film adaptation together.

A few of my favorite novels include:

*A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni
*Pillars of the Earth – Ken Follet
*A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
*Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni
*I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
*The Red Tend by Anita Diamant
*Queen by Alex Haley
*Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
*The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood
*Davinci Code by Dan Brown
*The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella
*Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
*1984 by George by Orwell
*Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
*The Crucible by Arthur Miller
*Sweet Revenge by Nora Roberts
*The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
*The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
*Trading up by Candace Bushnell
*The Promise by Danielle Steel
*A Stranger in the Mirror by Sidney Sheldon
*The Biography of Malcom X
*The Twilight Series

9. Romantic date night at home
I love going out with my husband but when it’s freezing outside a cozy night at home with a candlelight dinner and soft music is just as romantic. Sometimes we plan our next big trip or snuggle in bed and watch a movie on Netflix. If you have kids (I don’t) drop them off at your parents house for the night or ask your teens to sleep over at a friend’s so you aren’t interrupted. Every couple needs time alone to reconnect.


10. Holiday decorating party
Decorating for the holidays is fun but it can also be a lot of work, especially if you have to do it alone. Every year my sister and I host a tree-trimming party with family and friends. Sometimes we pick out a fresh tree (which is always an adventure) or we use our beautiful faux tree. Roast chestnuts, make holiday inspired drinks, bake cookies, play carols and have fun making the house look like a winter wonderland.



I hope these tips inspire some indoor fun this winter. For more holiday ideas follow my new Pinterest account HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...