Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Powder Before Foundation Makeup Technique | Step-by-Step Guide

If you’ve been on TikTok recently you may have seen tutorials of people applying setting powder before foundation. This trend is making a strong comeback and there is much debate on social media about who started it. Jackie Aina and a few other artists have been using this technique for years but for some reason I totally missed it.

Applying translucent powder before foundation is supposed to prolong makeup, minimize pores and prevent creasing, streaks and smears so your skin looks flawless all day.

Step 1:
Start by washing and drying your face so you have a fresh canvass to work on.

Apply serum and moisturizer on clean skin and let it absorb while doing your brows. Currently I am using Biotherm’s Life Plankton Elixir ($90.00) and I rotate between Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream ($38.00), It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream ($62.00) and Kiehl's Multi-Action Cream SPF 30 ($85.00).


Makeup Tip: Many tutorials will instruct you to apply eyeshadow first but don’t. It is much easier to clean up fallout on bare skin and you won’t mess up your foundation. Always use a good base to prolong wear and enhance vibrancy. Currently I am using the NYX Pigment Primer ($9.00) and Glitter Primer ($8.00) to keep my shadow in place and prevent lid to crease transfer.


Step 2:
Apply face primer to smooth skin texture, blur pores and camouflage imperfections. Urban Decay’s Longwear Foundation Grip ($42.00) goes on sheer, lightweight and hydrating with a supple finish that bonds makeup to skin for less transfer and smudging. I love the way it corrects and creates a silky, even surface.

I usually let the primer set for a minute or two before moving onto the next step.


Step 3:
Instead of applying foundation like you normally would, use loose translucent powder. My favorite is Make Up For Ever’s Ultra HD ($48.00) because it smooths, blurs and perfects like no other.


Pat the powder on lightly and focus on your t-zone to reduce shine and create a natural finish. If you use too much your face might end up looking cakey or grey, especially in flash photography.

Step 4:
Apply foundation. I am currently using NYX Born To Glow ($14.00) with the original Beauty Blender. A few of my favorite liquid formulas include: MAC Studio Fix Fluid ($36.00), Make Up For Ever Matte Velvet Skin ($50.00), Stila Hide and Chic Fluid Foundation ($51.00) and It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream Oil Free Matte with SPF 40 ($52.00).


Since the translucent powder absorbs oil and minimizes pores, you may notice that your skin appears matte, smooth and even. I didn’t have to use as much foundation and the finish was flawless!


Step 5:
Apply concealer if necessary. My favorites are: Rodial Heavy Duty Foundation Paste ($45.00), MAC Prolongwear Concealer ($29.99), NYX Can't Stop Won't Stop Contour Concealer ($12.00) and Vasanti Liquid VO2 Color Correcting Concealer ($27.00).


Step 6:
Apply blush and bronzer/contour if you like and set foundation with a light dusting of powder. Don’t overdo it or you might look cakey.

My favorite is MAC’s Studio Fix Prolongwear Powder in NC 45 ($36.00). It is the same shade as my MAC foundation and provides light to medium coverage.

Step 7:
Apply highlighter and mist with setting spray.

For oily skin I recommend Urban Decay’s All Nighter Ultra Matte Long Lasting Makeup Setting Spray ($45.00) with temperature control technology. This stuff sucks up excess oil like a sponge and holds foundation in place for up to 16 hours with no stickiness or shine.


The spray tends to leave a few droplets on my skin so sometimes I mist it on a flat powder brush and pat it on evenly. Make sure to focus on your t-zone where oil tends to accumulate.

If you have normal, combination or dry skin, try the original All Nighter Spray. It prevents fading, cracking and creasing without the ultra matte finish.

Results:
I love how even and clear my skin looks using this method. My pores seem invisible and my foundation looks seamless and fresh all day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...