Sunday, April 14, 2013

Shea Moisture Review: Shampoo, Deep Treatment Masque & Curl Enhancing Smoothie



Shea moisture is one of my favorite line of curly hair products. Although many beauty stores and drug stores in Toronto do not sell these products I go out of my way to pick up my favorite items when I travel to the U.S.  The thing I love most about these products is that they are made with wonderful natural and organic ingredients that nourish my hair.

The Curl Enhancing Smoothie is great at amplifying the definition of my curls. This product is best suited for thick curly hair.
 Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado), Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem), Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot), Sorbitol Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Caprylyl Glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle), Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

How I use it: 
I apply this product to wet or damp hair in combination with my other leave in products and use it as a styling cream. 

This product is suppose to:
 *Enhance curls
*Add moisture
*Condition the hair
*Add shine and bounce

Cost: $9.99
Pros
*Holds the shape of my curls and makes them defined and bouncy
*Helps tame frizz
*Makes my hair feel soft the first day I use it
*Smells good
*Thick and creamy with great natural ingredients
*Easy to wash out
*Can also be used as a deep conditioner

Cons:
*Leaves a slightly tacky feeling on my hair the next day
*On the second day my hair does not maintain that soft, moisturized feeling
*Does not give a lot of hold so I have to use it in combination with other products

I would recommend this product for people with thick curly hair, if you have thinner hair this product may be too heavy for you. 

Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
 Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‐5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil. *Denotes Certified Organic Ingredient.

This Product is suppose to be used for deep conditioning the hair. It is best suited for dry damaged hair and contains raw shea butter. 
This product is suppose to:
*Repair over processed dry, brittle and damaged hair
*Detoxify hair follicles of impurities and residue
*Add shine
*Rebuild elasticity
*Provide moisture to scalp and hair.

Cost: $9.99

How I use it:
Before I use this deep treatment I usually shampoo my hair, detangle in the shower with a light conditioner and then rinse clean. I then apply this deep treatment thoroughly all over my hair adding extra to the ends. I clip my hair up, cover it with a plastic cap and sit under my dryer attachment from 30-45 mins. I then rinse and style as usual.

Pros:
*Wonderful natural ingredients
*Very thick texture
*Leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized

Cons:
*When I rinse it out it makes my hair feel tacky and fragile but this feeling subsides after I rinse
*I would like this deep treatment to provide longer lasting softness and moisture

This is not my favorite deep treatment but it works pretty well and I like the ingredient list so I continue to repurchase it. I would recommend giving it a try if you prefer products with organic ingredients. 

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo:
 Ingredients: Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro‐Vitamin B‐5, Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract. *Denotes Certified Organic Ingredient.

This product is suppose to:
*Cleanse the hair
*Soften hair
*Add Moisture
*Repair damage

Cost: $9.99

How I use it: I wet my hair in the shower, lather and then repeat.

Pros:
*Leaves my hair feeling soft
*Great natural ingredients

Cons:
*It is very hard to generate a lather and I have to use a lot of product to get it to distribute throughout my hair.
*Does not cleanse my hair as thoroughly as I would like

I will not be repurchasing the shampoo because I found it a bit difficult to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...