Monday, June 24, 2013

Cleaning out my makeup collection


Every year I like to go through my makeup and de-clutter. I know many of us makeup junkies have so many products that sometimes things can get shoved aside and forgotten. It is easy for items to get lost and go unused; so on days like today when Toronto is under a heat advisory and it is miserably humid outside I took the time to go through some of my makeup and do some organizing.

I usually have backup items stored away in a drawer so that when I am running out of something I don't always have to run to the store or order the item.

Usually I find old items that I either have never liked or no longer use. Some makeup is older and needs to be tossed which is great because it makes room for new things! 

I usually also take this time to go through my brushes, toss out the old ones that are no longer usable and clean the ones I use regularly. 

If I have MAC empties I collect them because they have a wonderful recycle program at the store where 6 empties = a FREE product and who doesn't want free makeup?

I always have older nail polish that either needs to be thrown out or tweaked with some nail polish thinner.

If I have items that are still in good shape, new items, or just things I don't want I usually give them away. My mom usually gets the numerous bottles of MAC foundations or concealers that were never a good match for me and have passed their return date at the store. She also gets things that didn't work for me like those Xpress stick on nails that were too short, and things that I don't need (right now) like anti-aging skin care samples. If I have anything else I give them away as well.

What do you do with your unused makeup? Do you clean out your collection often?

12 comments:

  1. I throw stuff out if I don't use it, or if it's eyeshadow palettes, I usually offer it up to friends. They grab it up pretty quick. My collection is pretty small, which I really like. That way I don't waste too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice collection! I love how you store your lip products! I really gotta find a better way to store mine. MY collection isn't too large, but I do frequently toss out expired products though, like mascara or old lip products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those lipstick organizers make things so much easier! I got mine at Winners, but you can check Marshalls in the home section, online or even target may have something like it :)

      Delete
  3. I am really bad at this and don't clean out my makeup collection as often as I should. Haha...once I wore some expired lipstick that I knew was old but I didn't think it was *that* old and when my ex-boyfriend went to kiss me he was disgusted. He actually yelled at me to never wear that lipstick again. It was pretty funny, actually!

    Also, I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. Check it out here: http://ameliorerlavie.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is so funny! I am always getting lipstick on my hubby too and sometimes he doesn't notice the lip prints until later. Good thing it didn't do anything to your lips.

      Thank you so much for the nomination :)

      Delete
  4. Love your collection! I do clean outs regularly twice a year, when I go through all my stuff. But sometimes I just sort out only one part when I feel like... few days ago I did with lipsticks, since I bought few more lovely shades and when I wanted to put them among the others, I realized there are some I don't use nor like anymore, so they had to go xD Usually I first offer the stuff to my mum and sister, or sometimes to my friends, when it's something they can use without any problems (I mean especially hygienic reasons...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niky, This isn't actually my entire collection but I couldn't get everything to fit in the photo lol. It's great that you give things away too so that they won't go to waste.

      Delete
  5. I did not have a lot of items so I did not have an actual collection. I only use lipstick and foundation. In that way, it is easier to manage and I would not be able to waste unused product. I guess I should try MAC since free makeup also interests me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you have what you use, no point in buying things that will just sit there. Yes the MAC recycle program is a good idea.

      Delete
  6. I have a box where I put makeup items that don't work for me or that I no longer use. I let anyone go through the box and take what they want.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...