I LOVE pasta, it is one of my favorite foods and my food of choice when I go out to dinner. I am going to share with you my personal recipe for a baked pasta dish that is so scrumptious I could probably eat it every day...but I don't.
What you need:
*1 package of lean or extra lean ground chicken. You can use ground beef if you like. I opt for lean meat as a healthier alternative but you can use whatever you prefer.
*1 large onion
*3/4 cup of diced tomatoes
*2 jars of original Ragu pasta sauce I use the half the fat Ragu as a healthier alternative
*Cheese You can use whatever kind you like, I use cheddar
*Italian herb seasoning
*Mrs Dash original blend
*Extra Virgin Olive oil
*Pepper sauce to taste (I use the Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce)
*Fusilli pasta (You can also use rotini if you like)
1) In a large pan sauté : chopped onion, chopped garlic cloves, chopped cilantro, thyme and chopped green onion in some extra virgin olive oil.
2) After a few minutes add the chicken to the pan. Sprinkle on: seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, Italian seasoning and Mrs Dash seasoning.
Mix and break up the chicken.
3) Cook chicken completely
4) After you have cooked the chicken turn the heat to low and add both jars of tomato sauce and the diced tomatoes.
You can add some pepper sauce at this point which is optional. Make it as spicy as you like.
5) Let the sauce simmer on low-very low heat for 25-30 mins.
As the sauce is cooking I start to cook the pasta and make a green salad.
6) Preheat oven to 350-400
7) In a big baking dish mix the cooked pasta with the sauce.
8) Grate cheese over the top of the pasta
9) Cover dish and bake for 15-20 mins or until cheese has melted and sauce begins to bubble.
You can serve this with garlic bread or salad.
Voila! You are done, the finished result is very tasty comfort food the whole family will enjoy